Sunday 18 May 2014

Revelations in the Great Hall



As the Earl waited for our answer, there was an intense feeling of frustrated anticipation building in the room.  At its center was the Earl, whose eyes flitted between each of us.

I suddenly felt very self-aware as his eyes locked onto me and stared deeply into my own, as if to ask the question again.

I said nothing, as did everyone else.

There was no way that I would leave now, with all I had done for this chance.

The Earl continued to look around, and then relaxed, sitting in his chair at the head of the hall.  Despite his ease, the room remained rife with tension.

“Then I will begin...” he concluded.

“I would first like to say how proud I am, to have young men and women of such courage and honour within my people.  You do me a great service by being true men and women of the North” he announced.

The Earl’s voice was deep like my father’s, and he spoke carefully.  I was calmed by his tone, and I felt a sense of pride in his words, which rung true to how I felt of myself.

I noticed a touch of movement in the corner of my eye, and found Ulfr Hailagasson taking a deep and exaggerated breathe, obviously not as captivated by his father’s praise.

“I want you all to know that what you face is dangerous.  In truth, I do not know how dangerous.  I do know that it will cost many lives, and yours may be among those claimed.”

Now I heard a sound, like a tapping foot, and turned to the young woman around my age who had been standing near Ulfr when I arrived.  She was tapping the ground with her toe, which showed how badly her mother had taught her respect.

I may not be a master with words, but even I know the basic rules of how to treat an Earl I thought.

“Recently, there have been a number of people disappearing near the mountains...” the Earl continued.  “I find these disappearances deeply troubling...”

I paused on the thought.  I don’t know how dangerous this could be...  after all, people often go missing near the mountains...

“You’re all thinking that I’m mad to see such events as foreboding, but I have to warn you all:  There are a number of things that I find strange and disturbing about what is happening.”

The room seemed to become more attentive.

“First, I will have you know that most of the missing are women...” he began, before a voice rang up from beside me.

“That could just be organized bandits, or Southerners” said a man with long brown hair.

The Earl shook his head slowly.

“That cannot be the case, young Skorri.  These disappearances are too far within our borders, and besides...there is more...” he trailed off, as if unsure of his own thoughts.  “There are stories of beasts, taking these people in the night.”

This time, I could hear chuckles from a few around the room.

Again, Skorri spoke.

“Those are just stories, imagined by townsfolk who wish to see monsters instead of men.  No one should believe such imaginings” he stated.

Now Ulfr spoke, at last.

“No Skorri, these are not imaginings.  I rode out to the towns myself, to make sure of it.  There is something truly disturbing happening...”

I hung on his words, as did everyone else.

“I found little evidence, but there were tracks and other signs at the last few places where people had gone missing.  Among other things, the tracks were those of a beast, but in sets of two...”

I swallowed hard.  Ulfr was not the type of man who would speak such words carelessly.  He had a reputation, and he would not dishonour it on a fool’s quest.

I turned back to the Earl as he began to speak again.

“From what I learned, the beast will likely be in the hills near Ljosavatn in a matter of days.  You will have time to ride that distance, but only if I leave by morning.  That is why I called you all here with such urgency.”

The woman that was tapping her foot spoke up.

“And what should we do once we arrive in Ljosavatn?” she asked the Earl.

He turned his head to her.

“Agmundr, my chief advisor, will lead you all to Ljosavatn.  What you do from there, I leave to him.  Whatever steps you take, you must find out what sort of beast is roaming my lands and put an end to these disappearances:  No matter the cost.”

“Why is Ulfr not going to lead us?” asked Skorri, sounding worried.

Hailaga smiled.  “Do not fear, Skorri.  Ulfr will be along as well, but he must rest for a day.  He has only returned from his journey, and you must leave at first light.”

There was a pause, and Skorri seemed to relax.

“Now head off to your beds, and rest before morning” Earl Hailaga concluded. “You may not have another full night’s rest in many days.”

As the room began to shuffle, and people began to move towards the doors, I heard my name.  The voice was that of the Earl.

“Come here for a moment, Sigrid” he called.

As the others began to leave, I slowly approached Earl Hailaga.  When I reached him, I noticed his eyes roaming across my body, obviously unconcerned if I noticed.  Men of his stature often felt that they had a right to do anything they pleased, and they often did.

When he was finished inspecting me, he gave me a solemn nod and I bowed slightly in respect.

“I regret having to meet you under such terrible circumstances as these, Sigrid Thorodsdotter.  I’ve heard tales of you from others in Osfjoll” He said proudly.  “I’ve always been impressed by your mother, and I’m glad to see that you take after her”

As he spoke about my mother, I noticed the Earl lightly bite his lip.

“Thank you...” I said to him, feeling self-conscious.

“But that is no matter.  I am glad you could come.  I can only hope that even under the circumstances of our meeting, this will mark the beginning of a strong bond between us.”

Even with such kind and innocent words, I felt another tinge of discomfort.

“As do I” I said, unsure how I should respond.

Hailaga smiled deeply.

“Geirny will lead you to where you may sleep, and she will wake you just before sunrise” he said, gesturing to the doorway by which Geirny now stood.

“Thank you, Earl Hailaga” I nodded, and moved toward the door.

As I walked away, I heard the Earl’s voice murmur from behind me.

“I hope you survive your journey.”

No comments:

Post a Comment